Today, Cyber Security has become very important for every Internet user as in the past few years the number of cyber-crimes have gone up manifold. Traditionally, people were focused on protecting their hardware and software against cyber threats, while they almost forgot about more prevailing cyber threats like identity theft and financial frauds. Most of the people now store a large amount of personal and confidential data on their computers and laptops that makes them easy targets for such cyber-threats.
The best tool to fight against such cyber threats is ‘Cyber Security Awareness’ among the people.
Why is there a need for Internet Security Awareness?
Cybersecurity is an important part of our lives now as there is an urgent need to protect our personal and confidential data from online frauds.
Information Security practices you must follow diligently to keep your personal data safe and secure:
- Use strong passwords: Include uppercase letters, numbers, and symbols in your passwords. Don’t share your password, OTP, PINs with anyone. Don’t write down your passwords anywhere. Remember, the best place to store your passwords/PINs is your brain.
- Avoid phishing scams – Beware of suspicious emails and phone calls. Never open an email or any attachments contained therein, received from an unknown or suspicious source
- Don’t leave your laptop or smartphone unattended as the physical security of your device is just as important as its technical security.
- Ensure that anti-virus software on your device are regularly updated.
- Don’t connect your device to untrusted public or free Wi-Fi networks.
Having the right knowledge of the above practices can help you protect your personal data and financial assets from cyber threats.